If you’ve been experiencing strange behaviour at my website in the last week or so, these issues should now be fixed (to refresh, use ctrl + F5 in Windows; Apple + R or command + R in Mac/Apple; F5 in Linux). There were three problems going on, and one caused me not to notice the issue until it was pointed out to me. Firstly, there was an update to the WordPress theme I use — I still haven’t re-checked all the functionality, so let me know if there’s any strangeness. Secondly, the Garmin Connect plugin that I had been using had updated itself to the latest version, which I know to be broken. Finally, after I thought I’d fixed all this, it emerged that the cache plugin that I’m using messed up some of the theme updates. Things were showing up fine for me in Chrome straight from the cache, but the site was (presumably) broken for other browsers. Anyway, I’ve now tested basic functionality with Chrome, IE 10, and Waterfox; everything seems to be ok. I’m just going to give up with the W3 Total Cache plugin that I’ve been using. While it does seem to make the site a bit faster, it also clogs up my server with tens of thousands of files (which JustHost does not like). Hopefully things will still run somewhat smoothly, as I’ve taken down some of the heavier elements anyway.
I have had some problems with this heavy theme in the past and I’m starting to consider a change. It looks good and has some neat functionality, but also some tricky issues that required a lot of tweaking. Some aspects (like way too large vertically aligned featured blog images) are not really fixable without breaking the theme elsewhere, so I just gave up with those. I’m now thinking of a possible ‘minimal’ design which would still have the functionality that I want (like photo gallery and some nice slideshow features etc. for blog images). Alas, I don’t have time to look into the options now (but I welcome suggestion; I’m willing to pay for the theme).